background

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Fun trips to the commissary

Last night I went to the commissary because I was in desperate need of milk. I bought a cart full of crap, including polenta that I have no idea how to make and have never eaten. Guess what I forgot... Guess where I get to go tonight (again).

I'm mad about what's going on in SD but at least it'll finally be out there and we all knew it was coming. I love how pro-lifers are super fanatical but are willing to make exceptions for when the life of the mother is at stake or when rape/incest is involved. If we're all living by what they see as God's plan or blessing why the exceptions? Wouldn't it still be "God's plan" or a "divine blessing" if you're impregnated by a rapist? Or if you're going to die because of the pregnancy? It doesn't make sense. When they stick that little exception in there it sounds more like punishing the wicked fornicators than living by God's this or that.

I really feel like leaving for the day, I didn't even take a lunch break to buy a cell phone like I wanted. I ate nothing but junk today though, stupid Cinnabon fundraiser. Stupid Girlscouts wanting to go to Switzerland. Maybe tomorrow will be better...

4 comments:

Mickity said...

Some of those crazy right wing freakazoids think even a pregnancy caused by rape should be carried to term. They just use the whole medical exception stuff casue the courts make them. I love being a women. Being a second class citizen makes me feel good about myself.

Waldo said...

I realize it's a compromise to get support and an attempt to squash pro-choice arguments but if you're going to use God as the foundation of your argument it should be all or nothing. No exception or compromise.

And I've been thinking that the men should somehow be equally branded. I frequently think of how easily irresponsible men go about their lives without having to explain past deeds or be held accountable. I constantly feel judged because I've never been married. The male goes about his life without a cross eye, no one even knows he has like six kids and four of them are illegitimate. A couple of them he's never supported or acknowledged in any way. (more of my bad choices) He just sends a small portion of his pay to me and no one is the wiser. I, on the other hand, am constantly judged and labeled the "single parent." It is a term I have grown to loathe but have yet to find a suitable replacement.

A couple weeks ago I was thinking all these irresponsible men should be made to wear a scarlet letter. I was having trouble choosing an appropriate letter, calling them all a curse word didn't seem to have enough meaning to it.

I'm personalizing now but it's the same thing with abortion. The men don't have to walk in to the clinics with people screaming at them. They aren't judged and held up to society for criticism. They just go on about their lives ticking me off.

(Of course, not you Pooky. I still love you.)

Mickity said...

HAHA - you are starting to sound like me. Go read Women and Madness....then you will be even more pissed.

And I totally agree that men should be branded. I'm not opposed to cuss words either....who cares if its shallow and crass? Not me!

Also, on the single parent issue, I think that single parents should get way more credit then they do. And, unmarried mothers should get even more credit. My mom stayed with my step-dad for years and years while he drank himself into a pickle and beat us whenever he felt the need. People should look at you and say "There is a woman who made the tough choice for the good of her kid. Hurray for her!" You deserve credit for NOT being with the a-hole.

yagopuchae said...

See what happens when you try and blog about the commissary? You get all riled up. That place pisses me off too!