background

Saturday, June 07, 2008

a bitter-sweet evening

Let me preface by saying when I'm not cleansing, I'm REALLY not cleansing. I ate Burger King for lunch today and then decided to make brownies at 9:00 this evening.

I asked Schmitty if he would like to help me make brownies and his face lit up. He hussled over to the kitchen to see how he could be of assistance. While we were measuring and mixing, he said he loved cooking with me. I was a little surprised and told him I did too. He remarked that it had been a really long time since we'd done something together, just him and me, no dad or Ralph. (dad is still putting in long hours preparing for the inspection and Ralph was asleep)

While the brownies were in the oven we got to work on his farewell party invitations. I told him he could invite five people over. He asked where on the invititations were we going to list his interests so people would know what kind of present to buy him. I told him there weren't going to be any presents, it's not a birthday party, and his face fell. In a flippant manner, he said that he should be able to invite all his friends then because it could be the last time he sees them. I replied it probably would be the last time he saw them, that's why he got to invite five of his best friends over to say goodbye.

That's when the realization of what was happening hit him. It tugged at my heart looking at him. He didn't start crying, I could tell he was trying his hardest to choke back the tears. It was worse looking at him not crying. In the excitement of the new house and being near an aunt, uncle, grandparents and cousins he hadn't thought of what he was leaving behind.

He'll start third grade in his third school. I told him that was part of being a military family and he nodded in quiet acceptance. As difficult as this move may be I know the next one will be much harder for him.

1 comment:

Mickity said...

geez you two....yer makin' me cry