background

Wednesday, September 01, 2010

b

I got a B in my stats class, far from stellar but still passing.

I started reading the book Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell yesterday. I'm only a few pages in but it's making me cringe. I know everyone says it's no big deal and that I'm overthinking or overvaluing the effect but I really wish I'd waited to start Schmitty in school. Of course, at the time I was in Germany working shiftwork thinking he was a smart little boy that was definitely ready for school. And he was, but...

If I'd waited and started him when he was five instead of four I think it would have been better. I remember in first grade I was almost putting out feelers about holding him back but the teacher assured me he was doing great. The truth is he is usually one of the top performers academically, so why do I fret about a decision I made five years ago?

I also started school when I was four and turned out fine, right? Except I feel like I've lagged in life. You would think it'd be the opposite, that I'd have the advantage of an early start but I don't think so. I didn't graduate college until I was 27 because I couldn't pull my head out and get my act together. Now I've just started working on my master's degree but I'm 37. An eight month age difference feels like forever when you're school-aged. The advantages that kids have when they're born immediately after cut-off dates is amazing. Whether you're talking about academics or sports when you look at the data, it's startling.

Schmitty and I are a lot alike, maybe too much alike. Yago gets frustrated with his flakiness but I'm pretty sure he gets it from me. Maybe the extra time would have offset the flakiness. ? Who knows? Maybe being a space cadet is hereditary and has nothing to do with a late autumn birthday.

Where is my handy, dandy time machine?

4 comments:

Mickity said...

You're over thinking...you and your boy are smart. Being a flake does not a dumbass make...it means your brain is busy with more important stuff....likes world peace, purses, and the curing the common cold.

Mickity said...

jeezy creezy....I need to lay off the blogging and win. I meant "like" and "curing" not "the curing"

HAHA

Mickity said...

wine! its obviously the keyboard and not me

Waldo said...

You are too funny!