background

Wednesday, November 03, 2010

because oscar meyer has a way...

There has been some awful news recently. There's a teacher at Schmitty's school whose husband fell off a ladder Friday night and died. They have two young children that also attend the school, a kindergartener and a second grader I believe.

It's so terrible but perhaps the worst part is realizing that it could happen to anyone. I can't help but continuing to imagine what would happen to us if Yago died in some ordinary accident. The man who died wasn't jumping out of airplanes or driving drunk, he was just doing normal stuff. Sometimes people die doing normal stuff. Thinking of what the boys would miss out on without Yago in their lives is depressing. He's such a good father. (and husband!)

Then while eating breakfast yesterday I watched a few minutes of an Oprah episode where a woman's van was hit by a semi-truck and all three of her young children died. I can't imagine. That got me to thinking of what our house would be like without the sound of constant bickering. As annoying as the bickering is, I think I would go insane if the house were quiet. And it's so big for just Yago and me, the act of walking to our bedroom would be unbearable.

So, in short, this past week has served to make me appreciate what I have and realize how fragile it all is. Even the baloney that makes me want to scream is precious...

4 comments:

Mickity said...

Jeez-o-man. That's really a sad post :-(

Anonymous said...

that's very true. it's good to appreciate while we have what we have and give thanks!

there was a lady competing on the biggest loser -i think it was last season. she lost her family -and after years, she somehow found the strength to want to live again and strive again and succeed again. she was so impressive and inspiring! -a very strong woman!
-KB

Waldo said...

KB! I miss you!

I watched that season, wasn't that awful? Yago and I just sat there after she told her story. It was so unimaginable. How do you wake up the next day, and the next day...

Anonymous said...

I miss you too, Waldo!!! -and I miss playing peek-a-boo with shmitty :)

She was such a strong woman! I can't imagine at all being that strong. -KB