background

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

St. Martin's Walk


For those who don't know the story I'll explain. I didn't know the story until Sam came home and told me... St. Martin was riding through town on horseback one cold night. He saw a woman who was cold and didn't have a cloak, he cut off a piece of his cloak and gave it to her. I'm sure there's more to the story but that's all that Sam has explained to me.

Now, for some reason, German children walk through the streets with lanterns to celebrate the holiday. I went to Sam's class last week and helped him make a lantern out of an old Gatorade bottle and tissue paper. We all met at the school this evening and they handed out glow sticks to put in the "lanterns." Then we walked the streets behind someone on horseback playing the part of St. Martin. Sam was so preoccupied with the ribs I had promised we didn't even stay for the re-enactment. I was more disappointed than he was that we missed it. I don't understand where the lanterns fit in to the story!

It was pretty interesting and hopefully next year we'll stay for the whole thing and I'll figure out what it's all about. Anyway, here's a picture of Sam outside of school with his lantern. I got a picture of the horse but it didn't turn out well and I was sick of the guy next to me making fun of my picture-taking abilities so I quit trying. You try taking a picture of a moving horse in the dark with a big ol' delay waiting for the flash, asswipe.

When we went for ribs (they were out) Sam and I ran in to an old aquaintance we'd met last Halloween right after we'd PCSed. I was very surprised he remembered us but he did, even though Sam wasn't dressed as Spider-Man tonight. It was funny.

One last thing, I made an appt to get my tail light fixed. I did accomplish something today.

6 comments:

yagopuchae said...

Looks like a master lantern builder to me. So no ribs...you should have dropped my name. That would have gotten you ribs...or shot.

Waldo said...

The nice bartender was working, the one that was working last time when you went with me to get ribs. I don't think she recognized me though.

Skye said...

What's wrong with you're butt?

Waldo said...

Um, are you talking about my tail light? Cuz I'm not even in the picture. :^)

yagopuchae said...

Nothing, Sky, its great. It's very nice.

Waldo said...

Oh, behave Yago!