background

Friday, January 27, 2006

Why am I so Easily Annoyed?

I got to work a few minutes ago and a major just came in talking about skiing, which we all know I enjoy but don't have much time for. He started arguing with me about how I need to get out and learn. I know, I know... but I really don't have time. "You're only an hour and a half away from skiing. Just leave on a Friday after work... blah blah blah."
"Yeah, I'll just leave on Friday when I get off work around 6:00 and pick up my son. That's easy." Enter sarcasm.
"Just pack on Thursday night, pick him up, shove a hamburger in his mouth and take off."
"Yeah, but I'm also really bad at it."
"Just take lessons, you and your son can take lessons."
It continued on and on, by the end I was so annoyed that he wasn't getting it.

First, I've NEVER been anywhere that'll give lessons to children and adults together. The lesson times ALWAYS conflict and I can't just leave Sam alone on a slope while I'm off with a group for a few hours. HE would have no part of it, trust me on this. I've hung out with him before, I kind of know him.

Now to the taking off after work on a Friday. Sorry, but the last thing I want to do on a Friday night after working all week is drive around lost in snowy, unfamiliar mountains at about 9:00 or 10:00 at night. I'm just lazy like that. There's no way I would be checked in to a hotel before midnight with the way the roads are marked here and my awesome sense of direction. Mentioning this is always met with a big, "OH, you HAVE to buy a navigation system. I got a Tomtom, I love it. I never get lost anymore." So, I guess if I drop a few hundred dollars on a nav system I could go skiing every weekend.

Keep in mind Sam would sleep in the car for several hours and wouldn't want to sleep when we got there. I'd also get to spend a few hundred euro on a hotel, food, rentals, lift passes. I haven't even begun to think about when my floors would be mopped, groceries would be bought or when my laundry would be done.

I guess I'm just being a negative Nancy here. He's right, it's easy to just get away and go skiing all the time while I'm here.

3 comments:

Waldo said...

You think you know me!

Mickity said...

The thing is....you need a wife. Then your bee-yotch (aka wife) can pack the night before, pack sandwiches for dinner on the road, pick up a tomtom on e-bay for WAY cheap, print numerous maps, shop for good deals on lodging, and get cheap lift passes and rental skis and the outdoor rec dept. So, yeah, the whole lack of skiing business is because you were born a woman and now you don't get to have a wife...well, at least not in your current occupation. It's YOUR fault!

Waldo said...

So funny because that's kind of what I was thinking! This guy has a wife that stays home and can do laundry or mop any ol' time. She can get the packing done and take care of all that crap.