background

Friday, August 04, 2006

Big Smile

Yago and I went to my first OB appt today. Once he found out there was going to be a pelvic exam he wasn't nearly as excited about attending. "It's okay, you don't have to be there for that part." (in a forgiving tone when I actually didn't want him there for that)

I went out and got Yago when the doc was ready to do the ultrasound. It was so cute, you can already see the little heart beating. The doctor told us Cranky is about the size of a gummy bear. Yago made some comment about seeing it's little arms. The accompanying gesture was so funny I laughed the sensor/scopy/thingy off my belly. He's so ridiculous sometimes.

The difference in care between the Americans and Germans is already apparent. When I was pregnant with Sam I was diagnosed as pregnant. They took my bp, height, weight, some blood and sent me to a briefing. That's the only care I got during the first trimester.

I was diagnosed here and immediately eligible to see a doctor. I'm about 8 wks along and had my appt today. They didn't weigh me, which I found odd because in the US they write down your beginning weight and then lecture you the rest of your pregnancy about weight gain. They didn't take my blood pressure either but did collect a couple tubes of blood. Plus, I already got an ultrasound. That's a treat reserved for the fourth month in the States. They do an ultrasound EVERY visit and they have the 3-D kind.

Another difference... The doctor told me I could change into the robe hanging on the wall. She didn't leave the room or anything, just stepped behind the screen out of my sight. I asked which way I should have the robe open, the front or back. (All us girls know different doctors have different preferences.) This doctor sounded a little confused by my question. She told me, "We only have the robes for the American patients because we know that's what they're accustomed to. Germans don't use them." Hmm. I'm trying to imagine myself stripping down and walking around a stranger's office buck-naked. Nope. Then plopping myself down on a table in to stirrups without a robe, sheet, or anything. Nope. I don't even do that at home in front of my husband. (I mean walk around naked, we don't have stirrups at home.)

Today has been such a good day, I'm even friendly to people at work. Completely out of character.

3 comments:

yagopuchae said...

And the doctor said to call her anytime and gave you all her phone numbers. I haven't seen that type of service since I was a little kid. The military would just tell you to go to the emergency room (when it could be just a question) and wait around for four hours for some motrin.

Mickity said...

I love motrin....it's the stuff of gods....all sarcasm intended :-) Oh, and I don't think I would want to be hoppin' around all naked and then jump into some stirrups either....I'm just not that naked of a person :-)

Waldo said...

The date is Mar 13, but like I said I don't expect Cranky to make an entrance until around the 20th.