background

Friday, March 02, 2007

Good to Know...

Today I learned Suze Orman is a lesbian and I found myself excited for her. I guess she was never "in the closet" but I wondered about her personal life, as if it's my business. I just wondered if she was married, divorced or what. Now I know.

I think my excitement stems from when I suspected a great friend of being gay. I must say she is honestly one of the best, most admirable people I've ever known. We were good friends for years but I was afraid to ask her about it. I resolved to just let it be until she felt like telling me. It was awkward though, we both always used genderless pronouns and I felt like I had to be careful about what I said. Using "their" and "they" instead of "him" or "her" just made conversations cumbersome. When she finally came out I was so relieved!! She was afraid I wouldn't want to be her friend which was silly, considering we'd both spent so many years playing the pronoun game. It just makes me happy now when people are openly gay because it's too much stress lying or hiding it.

2 comments:

yagopuchae said...

Well, if you say its good to know those kinds of things...there's something I'd like to discuss with you this evening...

Waldo said...

Why am I laughing at your dumb comment?