background

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

My Little Buddy


Little Schmitty is so smart and makes me proud. He had cub scouts last night and they were supposed to talk about their state flag. (They're military kids so they don't really have a home state.)

I told him I'd look up some stuff online and go over it with him after school. We chose the Oklahoma state flag because it was more interesting than the Nebraska one. I was rushing around while we talked about it and he asked me to write some of it down for him. I jotted down some quick notes and we went to the den meeting. Unfortunately, we left the notes and the little flag at home.

During the meeting we went around the table so the kids could talk about their flag. There were pictures in the book of the flags but only 2 other kids even knew what state they were supposed to talk about. When it was Sam's turn I could tell he was nervous but he remembered everything. The other parents were looking to see if he had all the information written down and were amazed that it was from his memory.

The shield is from the Osage warriors and is made from buffalo hide.

The six white crosses (stars) represent high ideals.

There are seven eagle feathers that hang from the shield.

The peacepipe and olive branch represent peace.

The blue background represents the flag the *Choctaw soldiers carried during the Civil War.

*He forgot the Indians were Choctaw.

No comments: