I was going to post about Sec Gates but Mickity beat me to it. I have a different take on it though.
Sec Gates spoke at Air War College about it being like pulling teeth to get the Air Force to support the war on terror. Then he turns around and gives a speech at West Point about discretion and honesty. It seems contradictory and Rumsfeld-y, if you ask me, which I'll point out no one has.
It's nonsensical. They've been cutting AF personnel year after year to fund new aircraft development. I've been wondering for years why the AF needs new fighter aircraft when we're not dogfighting any other air force. Why aren't we funding bombers, ISR and close air support aircraft? Fighters can be used in those roles but they're not the most efficient/effective way of doing business.
And? Does it really need to be a rated officer piloting unmanned aircraft? Not in the Army, they have NCOs doing it. Should the flight clearance requirements be the same? Not in my opinion.
Back to bad talking the AF at Air War College, what is he trying to accomplish? If he has an issue with pilot proficiency requirements take it up with the Sec of the Air Force. How about you fund the personnel and equipment required? Then don't turn around and talk about discretion to a bunch of West Point graduates.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I'm amazed at our smartness
Post a Comment