background

Thursday, June 05, 2008

directoral debut

Yesterday, Ralphie and I went to Sammy's class to watch mini-movies each student had made. They were essentially Power Point slide shows with recorded narration. They were funny and cute. Sam actually looked a little embarrassed to be standing in front of everyone while his played. He usually blows me away with his ease standing in front of people but he was sheepish yesterday.

After the movies each child was given a cd containing work and projects he/she had worked on throughout the year. The parents were invited to follow the kids to the library and look at what was on the disks.

On the way to the library I heard a classmate behind us crying because his mother didn't come to see the movies. Sam's teacher tried to explain that something must have come up at work to prevent her from being able to attend. He cried that she was at home. Sam told me later that his mom just got home from a year in Iraq. I always think it's sad when I hear how many of his classmates have gone a year without a parent.

1 comment:

Mickity said...

That's very sad...poor guy