background

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

son of a .... gun!

I went to St. Louis with Schmitty yesterday to pick up my car, woohoo! We flew out at 7:30 and arrived at 8:30. I'm not really sure why but I was on edge all day. It was an effort not to lose my cool for no particular reason which isn't the day I wanted to have. I got my car and we drove to the arch but there wasn't any parking, it was all roped off and plastered with no parking signs. I was thoroughly annoyed and left, I decided to just drive straight home (443 miles). I think I was cranky because I was tired, I can't think of any other reason. Maybe sometimes I don't need a reason...

Saturday afternoon/evening Yago and I tried our hand at canning tomatoes. We bought a big box of them at the farmer's market that morning and looked forward to preserving some fresh food for later use. We also shucked, cut from the cob and froze a couple dozen ears of corn. I just read Greek Tragedy and she canned fresh tomato sauce. She made it sound idealic and homey, she left out the part where you drop a slippery tomato on the floor and make a huge mess (stain) on an area rug or where you ruin a t-shirt. (It looks like I tried hacking a small cat to bits.) She also forgot to mention the part where at the end you wonder if you're doing it right and yell at your husband. Will the jars seal? Is it going to spoil because I accidentally touched something after it was sterilized.

And lets not forget about the pesky baby that wants to be in the kitchen with four pots of boiling water on the stove and all sorts of things to get in to. I guess her twins are more boring than my Ralph.

I almost forgot the best (worst) part of my story about picking up my car. I was within NINE miles of home when a construction vehicle in front of me kicked a rock up on to my windshield. I have a big ding and crack in my windshield. Grrr.

My Aunt Rita came to visit for the weekend. I wish we'd been able to spend more time together, she's pretty funny. Sometimes I'd like to go back to NY to visit but I don't have anyone to stay with, I'm not really close to any family back there anymore. It's been years since I've been back and seen people.

Time to make Schmitty breakfast and enjoy the few moments left before Ralph wakes up.

2 comments:

Mickity said...

I think the whole canning tomatoes fiasco is a little easier when you a) write quasi-fiction, b) take pills, or c)have a nanny. So, maybe you just need write better, take more pills, and hire a nanny.

Waldo said...

I like the all of the above approach!