background

Monday, August 04, 2008

Whew

We finally made it after many adventures and missteps. I can start with our last mass.

Schmitty and I were all psyched and ready to announce to the congregation that we were attending our last mass, they always ask new people to introduce themselves and leaving members to stand and say goodbye. Anyway, Schmitty was very excited and afraid the priest wouldn't ask if it was anyone's last mass before leaving. I had to reassure him several times that they always ask and we would stand up.

We didn't have our regular priest but toward the end of mass he asked the Huff family to come forward. Huh? Crap! I have no idea what you're supposed to do when you go up there! Everyone always bows when they approach the altar but I don't know if it's because they're part of mass or if you're supposed to bow within a certain distance of the altar... I go to church every Sunday but I have no idea what people are doing most of the time and don't know half the prayers. I just show up and take Schmitty to CCD.

Anyway, I got all nervous and flustered when the "Huff Family," consisting of only Schmitty and me, went up there and I started bowing and making the sign of the cross out of nervousness. I did't know what to do!!! The priest presented us with a plaque and thanked us for our service to the church. He said he felt a little strange because he didn't normally serve our church so he didn't know us but could tell we must have contributed an awful lot and been very involved for our congregation to want to say goodbye to us in such a way. Nope. Like I said, I don't even know half the prayers we say during mass. It was VERY embarrassing. I spent days thinking about it afterward, kind of kicking myself for looking like a retard up there not knowing what to do. Ugh.

Then, there was our last evening out in Germany. Yago and I went to the spa up the street from our house. That? Was an interesting night. It was a textile free sauna, I can't even describe it. Lots of naked people roaming around. Inside. Outside. You name it. There was an indoor/outdoor pool that you can go in. Basically skinny dipping in front of a couple hundred naked people. There were all sorts of different saunas, with different infused scents. One was a pretzel sauna, we went to that one and they poured some liquid on the hot rocks that really made it smell like a baking pretzel. Another one was chamomile or something and then you step back outside and rub rock salt all over yourself (for exfoliating purposes) and then go back in. It was crazy but fun.

Well, I'll save the Alburquerque and Topeka stories for another day.

We still don't have our furniture but we got our household goods so we have pots and pans and stuff like that. We really like our house, it was a good choice for us. I'm going to go look at a couple of schools today and figure out where to enroll Schmitty. I have to get on the ball because school starts next week!

1 comment:

Mickity said...

Its about time you get back to bloggin'! Your church story was funny. The real reason I don't go is cause I don't know what to do either :-)