I'm spending the morning researching stepparent adoption. Yago and I started talking about it two and a half years ago and found that we couldn't do it while stationed overseas. I find it very frustrating that we could have adopted a baby from China but Yago couldn't adopt Schmitty while we were stationed in Germany. It ticks me off. (Seriously. My former boss adopted a daughter from China while we were there. There are provisions for that but there isn't a state that will consider jurisdiction in stepparent adoption while overseas.)
In Nebraska we have to wait until we've lived here a year, so we can start in 49 weeks. Ugh. I heard Oklahoma has some of the easiest adoption laws in the country and since Yago's from OK I called. The child has to live in OK for six months. Hmph. Now I'm waiting for a call back from an attorney in Florida, Yago is a legal resident of FL. This stinks.
It really irritates me that the delay is caused by Yago being in the military. If it weren't for that the adoption could have been done a couple of years ago.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
just one more kick in the junk for all us lucky military families
Post a Comment