background

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

there was a gorgeous lady who lived in a shoe...

I met my neighbor three doors down last Friday. She saw Jacob staring at her jack-o-latern one morning and came out and introduced herself. While making small talk she disclosed she'd recently miscarried at 32 weeks. She told me the story about how she went in for a regular checkup and they couldn't find a heartbeat. They induced labor and she had to deliver the baby stillborn. Her memorial was on Sunday. We both stood in her front yard with tears in our eyes, it was a strange moment we shared. We apologized to each other profusely and she invited the midget and me in.

Since we have the same floorplan she asked what I did in this room and that room. They (her and her husband) had turned in the keys to their apartment the day before and he'd invited 15 people over that evening so she had a lot of unpacking to do. I told her I'd kill my husband if he ever did that to me!

I invited her over to our house to look around and she said she'd come over when her husband got back from the hardware store. I hurried home to clean up the breakfast dishes and waited like a girl on prom night. She never came.

This morning when I saw her she explained she planned on coming over but was so busy with everything she didn't have a chance. She said maybe she'd stop over today after school but she hasn't. It's weird to feel stood up by someone you barely know, I think I'm too eager for a neighborhood friend.

I'm sure the moment my house is in a shambles the doorbell will ring. My mistake is probably picking stuff up, no one ever stops by unannounced when your house is tidy.

2 comments:

Mickity said...

That poor lady. I totally would have cried with her too.

I'm coming to your house in mid-may and I'm totally trashing the place, not doing the dishes, and leaving for Vegas. HAHA!

ps - muffalotta on the menu...yes/no?

Waldo said...

Oh yes! Mmm. I love those things. Maybe I'll make one this weekend to practice.