background

Sunday, January 11, 2009

apologizing in advance

I'm sorry Mickity but I hate lawyers.

Our lawyer is useless. In his defense, the state of Nebraska doesn't help. He got the paperwork together for the adoption, he's only been "working" on it since August, but realized he doesn't know where the bio father is. I've only been telling him that since, um, well, AUGUST. He finally looked in to getting the information from the state of Nebraska (that's where the support order is) and Child Services says they have to have a Nebraska-issued court order to release address information. It's such crap. The lawyer was bewildered that it wasn't a matter of public record. Whatever.

Yesterday was Schmitty's first basketball game, his team did very well. He even made a basket. There's a girl on his team that we knew from Laughlin, I didn't realize it until I saw her mom at the game. (She and Schmitty were only two so they don't remember each other.) It's a small AF.

Yago took the midget grocery shopping, he's a good husband. He told me not to run any errands while he was gone, I should just relax. He, on the other hand, hasn't relaxed all weekend.

We went to the nature center for story time yesterday. We turned out to be the only family there which was kind of awkward. Schmitty was busy with a display in a different area so the Naturalist read a story about a momma duck and her ducklings and a story about a family of owls. Ralph wouldn't hold still so essentially the naturlist read the stories to Yago and me. Like I said, awkward!

3 comments:

Mickity said...

Your lawyer seems like an a-hole. Sorry. You could always report him to the state bar. Or, maybe call him up and tell him that since you've been telling him since August that bio-dad is MIA and he just now figured that out you aren't willing to pay him for that time.

Jessica said...

Do you ever think that maybe our culture puts a little too much emphasis on "biology" sometimes? That's certainly been my experience...

Schmitty has a great dad and I think it sucks that you have to go through so much BS just to have that legally recognized. Maybe this is misplaced angst, as it applies to your situation, but it's just something that bugs me in general.

Waldo said...

The whole thing makes me mad. The lawyer, the system, all of it. Why is the sperm donor protected from contact from his offspring? Why do we have to go through all of this so that the only father he's ever known can legally BE his father? Whatever.