I'm always toying with the idea of going on orders for three months to make some easy, extra money but when I attempt the juggling act during my annual tour I remember why I don't want to work nine hours a day, five days a week. Trying to pick the kids up from different locations, make it to piano lessons, fix dinner... it's too much stress. It's not that we couldn't do it, it's just I'd never have a meaningful interaction with my children during the week. I still would like to do something but I don't know what that will be or when. I've been kicking around the idea of preschool for Ralphie two days a week when the next school year starts. Maybe I could take some classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
I also think of working somewhere part-time where I want an employee discount. A high-end department store or a luxury hotel chain, either of those would be good. I love posh vacations, expensive clothes, and expensive furniture... things I'm doing without.
Well, not entirely doing without. I recently made a purchase that I have been telling myself for years was dumb. I bought a expensive purse with Christmas money that I pooled with a couple of disability checks. I was giddy over the purse and am fully aware of the ridiculousness of it. It's absolutely stupid to spend so much money on a purse but I can't help feeling inadequate around other women that have huge designer bags.
I've heard and read that such purchases don't bring lasting satisfaction but I disagree. According to a study I heard a while back you should spend money on experiences, tangible items don't bring lasting happiness. Supposedly the feeling you get when you buy a certain car or whatever fades but not so in my case. I'd always wanted a European car and although that sucker is eight years old, has over 100,000 miles on it, frequently needs tweaking, and isn't worth what a two-year-old Focus is I still love having it.
I guess it's a testament to my inner shallowness. Which I'm okay with. ;^)

1 comment:
There's nothing wrong with occasionally treating yourself. Its when you start putting yourself in debt and running up the credit cards to pay for nonsense that it gets stupid.
We have coach outlet stores here in Vegas. My sister's friend's mom specializes in getting them for less than $100 a piece. She signs up for coupons online and then buys clearance bags at the outlet store. When I'm employed I plan on trying this strategy out.
Post a Comment