background

Monday, February 01, 2010

wild night at the vfw

I met up with a couple of former coworkers Saturday night at the VFW. (Dana & Ron) I know, it sounds pretty glamorous. And it was.

First of all, I'm old. I didn't know any of the operators there, I thought I would see some people I knew from Kadena or Mildenhall but it's all young'uns now.

Second, I'm really happy I got out of that environment. My friend is recently divorced and looking to meet someone nice. Those guys really don't exist in the flying/deploying community. It reminded me of why I was so cynical a few years ago. I feel really bad for her and wish I could introduce her to a nice guy that can behave himself but I don't know anyone single our age. She's a good person but I know what she's up against. Even if she dated someone that didn't deploy she deploys all the time. She was gone something like 230 days last year. All I could offer was an ear. It's kind of depressing.

She asked how my marriage was and I couldn't help but tell her how great it is. ...How happy I am with my husband.

1 comment:

Mickity said...

I'm really happy that you're happy. You and Sam are awesome and you deserve it. Plus now you don't have to put up with me trying to find you dates (Um...you're single, right? This is my friend Jen...)