background

Friday, May 14, 2010

judging a book by the cover

I'm not sure if it's really a new phenomenon or not but I've noticed a LOT of memoirs recently. Maybe it's just because of the blogs I read... I also heard a story on NPR not too long ago about it. It's a symptom of how egocentric our culture has become. I'm always puzzled by people that want to spend their lives over analyzing every single thought they have and then express it to the world. Really? Who cares? I'm caring less and less. As soon as I see the word memoir on a cover I keep walking.

I'm generalizing but it seems everyone who has one of those blogs is chasing a book deal or some sort of media. So you were fat and went on a diet, big deal. So you went to two ivy league schools to become a lawyer and are still insecure, big deal. And? How many memoirs do we need from each of these self-absorbed noodle brains? You couldn't cover your dumb stories in one book? You need to write several books about your pedestrian struggles for everyone to read? Why are publishers lining up for this?

Honestly. I have my own life. Don't we all? Aren't we all a little too busy to spend entire days picking apart every decision we make or every encounter we have? I'm too busy to care about yours and I'm certainly not going to pay you to be so self-indulgent. Get real and do something worthwhile with yourself.

Am I snarky or what today? :)

2 comments:

Mickity said...

I have been thinking about writing my memoir....

Waldo said...

Oh, right. Well yours would be great, ignore that whole post. :)