background

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Old Friends

I talked to an old friend last night... I miss him and all the others. They were all so crazy and now we each have very different lives in different corners of the globe. Those guys were the best to work with. I was always laughing, the great big belly laughs that make your day, stupid jokes that you still laugh about a week later.

I miss being able to be ridiculous and funny at work without worrying if I'm undermining my own ability to lead. If this SSG knows how silly I am will he/she be less likely to do what I ask next week? Should I be giving them daily Sam updates? Whatever.

It's strange though, back then I didn't think those were going to be amongst my fondest memories. It seemed very banal at the time, I hated going to work. I wanted a job where I wasn't always competing against native speakers that had a steep advantage. I thought I was miserable, I wasn't.

I thought I was ugly compared to the other girls... bad complexion, inability to tan, chubby, bad hair. Nowadays, I look at myself and see bad skin and wrinkles. I wish I hadn't kept trying for the inachievable tan, I wouldn't have the wrinkles.

I saw a picture of Mogy and was reminded I thought Texas sucked but turns out I met some great people (check, a great friend) and learned a lot about what's important to me. I learned to eat cheese and drink wine. :) I also learned I don't much care for pilots. (Except Mr. Mickity, of course.)

Anyway, I wonder what I'll think of the present another 10 years in the future...

3 comments:

Mickity said...

Don't ever write an entry like this again! You are only as old as you can dance...and trust me...you're still tearin' up the dance floor sista'

In ten years you are scheduled to hit your sexual peak so you can go out and get a hot 20-something guy and screw his head off. HAHA

Waldo said...

"You wouldn't happen to be infantry would you?"

Mickity said...

Oh yes...the day will be ours (okay, just yours. I've got the ol ball-n-chain crampin' my game)