background

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

the last

Today Yago gets his car back, which really means I get my car back. Not a day too early either because baseball practice starts today along with a whole list of other activities. Schmitty's schedule feels a bit grueling sometimes but I always make sure it's something he really wants before I sign him up. Except piano lessons. He has scouts, piano, baseball, CCD and in a few weeks he'll have swim lessons. Luckily, by the time the swimming starts the scouts and CCD should be over.

He makes his First Communion in a couple of weeks and I'm excited for him. Yago doesn't really understand what the big deal is and I can't explain it. I just remember when I made my First Communion and I remember what a big day it was. I was most excited about my white dress and shoes. I can still see those shoes with the cut out heel, they were the neatest shoes I'd ever had. I remember mom helping me with the pantyhose and my hair being curled. I remember dad taking me outside in the yard to take a picture of me in my dress. I was disappointed by the taste of the bread, I was expecting something spectacular. It had to be really special and tasty since it had been witheld so long but it wasn't.

There were gifts and a party afterward. I got a praying hands necklace, a glow-in-the-dark rosary and something I'll always treasure: my grandmother's pendant. I still have and regret that I didn't wear it when I got married, I forgot it. I had a cake and my grandparents came over, and I think I remember us all playing a game.

I hope Schmitty remembers his big day.

No comments: