background

Monday, February 23, 2009

and so it begins...

Schmitty spent Friday night at his friend's house along with a couple of other boys. The family has more money than I can imagine. Schmitty came home with an orange wristband and when Yago asked about it he explained it was given to him to remind everyone that Schmitty is the youngest, shortest, and poorest of the group.

I found this to be extremely mean and hurtful but Yago's response was, "He'll have to get used to it and figure out how he's going to deal with it." I was at first offended by his matter-of-factness but realized he's right. Schmitty still loves his school and he's going to have to deal with it.

2 comments:

Mickity said...

I'm assuming the other kids gave him this wrist band and not the parents, right?

Its pretty disgusting that they would do that. I guess lots of money doesn't buy manners.

Jessica said...

You know, those things are only bad if you choose to see them that way (being the youngest, shortest, or poorest).

Did you ever see the movie The Weatherman? Pretty crappy movie, but there's a scene where he's talking to his daughter about her nickname, camel toe. Her explanation of what she thinks it means is awesome.

Kids can suck sometimes, but hopefully Schmitty has the right perspective on things.